From this module you will learn:
- The prevalence of COPD and who is affected by it
- How symptoms vary with disease severity
- Why various tests may be required to diagnose COPD
- Which treatments are currently available
Download this article - this includes the 5 minute test - here.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is an umbrella term used to encompass a collection of lung diseases, including:
- chronic bronchitis – the long-term inflammation of the airways
- emphysema – damage to the air sacs in the lungs.
COPD is characterised by airflow obstruction over several months that is progressive and not fully reversible. It cannot be cured – however, it can be treated.
Who does COPD affect?
COPD is one of the most common respiratory diseases in the UK – it is