With approximately 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK, it is important for pharmacy teams to consider their role in supporting those affected by this progressive condition.
C+D clinical editor Kristoffer Stewart spoke to Emma Bould, programme partnership project manager at the Alzheimer’s Society, to discuss what pharmacists and their teams can do to support patients and carers to manage this neurological disorder.
In this 'dementia friends' podcast you will find out about:
- The benefits to your patients and the pharmacy of your team becoming ‘dementia friends’
- How the initiative is funded through the contractual framework and what level of training is needed to qualify for quality payments
- The appropriate ways to discuss the condition with patients and their carers
- What to do if you suspect a patient is showing signs of dementia
- The impact the ‘dementia friends’ initiative has had since its inception.
You can listen to the podcast in full below. Alternatively, subscribe to all of C+D's podcasts on iTunes by clicking here or by searching 'Chemist+Druggist podcast' on your preferred android podcast app.
For more information on dementia, read the C+D Update article Dementia: risk factors and symptoms.