From this pharmacy CPD module on dry mouth and hypersalivation you will learn about:
- The functions of saliva
- The causes of dry mouth and hypersalivation
- The symptoms and management of these conditions
- How pharmacy teams can support and advise these patients
Download this module – this includes the five-minute test – here.
Saliva is an essential body fluid that is important for maintaining oral health and comfort. Produced by and secreted from the salivary glands, saliva is composed of water, electrolytes, antibacterial compounds, mucus and enzymes.
The functions of saliva include:
- lubrication and binding of food products to allow easy transit down the oesophagus
- solubilisation of dry food, which is important for sense of taste
- maintaining oral hygiene, by helping flush away food debris, preventing bacteria building up in the mouth and reducing
Want to read more?
Subscribe to Update Plus to continue reading our CPD content
Got an Update Plus subscription?Log in here
Why Buy Update Plus
In-depth clinical modules with a bespoke CPD write-up
Pharmacy-based clinical scenarios ask "what would you do?" and provide expert advise
Top up your clinical and practical knowledge on-the-go with our downloadable podcasts
Use of interactive picture quiz to refresh your knowledge of various conditions
Not subscribed yet?Buy Update Plus today