From this module on helping patients manage and understand type 1 diabetes you will learn:
- About patient education as a part of the treatment of type 1 diabetes, including explaining how it will affect their daily life
- How patients can monitor their blood-glucose levels
- Some of the issues you should be aware of when speaking with these patients, including fasting, driving, and foods labelled as ‘diabetic’
Download this module - this includes the 5 minute test - here.
Comprehensive education about type 1 diabetes is essential at the time of diagnosis, to enable self-management of the condition. All patients should be given advice about accessing a programme of diabetes education, covering:
- insulin therapy, including how it works, its mode of delivery and dosage adjustment
- blood-glucose monitoring, including target