Chemist + Druggist is part of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC’s registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use. Please do not redistribute without permission.

Printed By


Your essential locum expenses checklist

Umesh Modi, a partner at Silver Levene LLP, gives his bitesize guide on easy savings for locums

Locum pharmacists often overlook making legitimate expense claims, which can include anything from insurance cover to a new laptop. Sometimes these extra sources of income are left unclaimed for many years.

So how can you avoid losing out on this valuable part of your locum income? By making sure you check off everything on our essential guide to self-assessment and claiming expenses.


If you’re working as a self-employed locum pharmacist or earn income from freelance or contract work, then you are required to submit a self-assessment tax return to disclose your aggregate income in a tax year.

If this is the first year you have been receiving income from more than one source, then you must register for self-assessment with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). On registration, HMRC will issue you a unique tax reference number (UTR), and with this you should disclose all your income for 2016-17 and submit your self-assessment tax return online.

To establish whether you are employed or self-employed as a locum pharmacist, it is vital to look at your contract (see below for more details on the difference). Employed pharmacists work under a ‘contract of service’, while self-employed pharmacists work under a ‘contract for service’.

Employed or self-employed?

Here are six factors to consider when deciding whether you are employed or self-employed. You are probably self-employed if most of the following applies to you:

1. You can decide when you work and where.

2. A substitute could be hired for you.

3. You provide your own equipment.

4. You are at financial risk if work is not done.

5. You generally don’t have management responsibilities.

   6. You are unlikely to benefit from profits, such as through bonuses or incentive schemes.

Claiming expenses 

As a locum pharmacist is likely to work as a sole trader or through his or her own limited company, there will be certain expenses that can be claimed legitimately for tax purposes.

As a general rule, expenses can only be deducted from income if they’re incurred “wholly, exclusively and necessarily” in performing pharmaceutical duties.

All of the following kinds of expenditure can be claimed for – go through the checklist below and think about what applies to you:

Are you a member of a professional body?

Pre-registration fees, and membership of professional bodies – such as the Pharmacists’ Defence Association, the General Pharmaceutical Council and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society – can be claimed back.

Are you paying out for insurance cover?

Insurance premium costs can be claimed as a business expense, provided the cover is specific to locum business.

Printing, postage and office stationery

This includes business stationery (such as letterheads, business cards and brochures), leaflets to distribute to community pharmacies, and the cost of office stationery such as envelopes, papers, pens and pencils. Remember to retain all your receipts.

Don’t get overcharge

All business overdraft, bank and credit card account charges can be claimed for, as well as hire purchase interest and lease payments – for example when buying a car for work.

Keep connected

Monthly contract charges for telephone and internet are allowed.

Paying other professionals

You can claim expenses for professional fees to accountants and solicitors for hiring their services.  However, fines for breaking the law are not allowed.

Repairs and renewals

All repairs and maintenance costs of IT equipment, small tools and items of equipment.

Save for your golden years

Contribution to a registered pension scheme can be claimed on expenses – up to the annual limit of £40,000 in 2016-17.

Don’t forget travelling costs

You can claim for travelling in the performance of your duties – such as visiting patients’ homes, care homes or medical centres. This also includes mileage related to work, such as business trips, at 45p a mile. However, travelling to and from home and work is not an allowable expense.

Be charitable

Most charitable donations are allowed.

Working from home?

When locums work from home to do their paperwork, then a proportion of the running cost of the home can be claimed back. HMRC allows £18 per month (£216 annually). If your claim is for a higher amount, you will need to be able to justify it. 

Claim for your laptop

If you use your personal equipment – such as a laptop – for work, then a proportion of the cost can be claimed.


Amendment 27/06/16 09:30. The original version of this feature said mileages related to work could be claimed at the rate of 40p a mile. This has been changed to 45p a mile.


How do you manage your expenses?

We want to hear your views, but please express them in the spirit of a constructive, professional debate. For more information about what this means, please click here to see our community principles and information


Pharmacist Managers - Recruiting Now !
East London, Essex and Luton
£40,000 - £50,000 per year

Apply Now



Ask The Analyst

Please Note: You can also Click below Link for Ask the Analyst
Ask The Analyst

Thank you for submitting your question. We will respond to you within 2 business days. my@email.address.

All fields are required.

Please make sure all fields are completed.

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please make sure you have filled out all fields

Please enter a valid e-mail address

Please enter a valid Phone Number

Ask your question to our analysts